When the pilgrimage from Sint-Kwinten in Leuven to Our Lady of Peace and Concord in Basse-Wavre was undertaken for the first time in 1653, it was as an expression of gratitude after the last plague epidemic that struck Leuven two years earlier.
Thousands of men, women, and children have gone before us over the centuries, and even more prayers have been addressed to Our Lady of Peace and Concord, for so many spoken and unspoken intentions.
When the pilgrimage stopped at the beginning of the 1970s, this was not its definitive end, because four years ago, under the impulse of Dean Dirk De Gendt, this pilgrimage was restored to its former glory, only now pilgrims from all over the world take part.
What a privilege to spend a day together with so many others talking, praying, and walking through the beautiful landscape between Leuven and Basse-Wavre.
‘Pilgrimage’ encompasses everything our faith community stands for: liturgy, evangelisation, community building, and diakonia.